Thursday, June 25, 2009

Dynamic Duo


Even thought Clapton and Winwood only spent a brief 45 minutes on one album together, we had them for 2+ hours last Thursday night. Now, don't get me wrong, Clapton is king and I've had the luxury of seeing him twice (once in Royal Albert Hall circa 1991 and the amazing recordings of 24 Nights and once in DC pre-Clint) but paired with the mellow and friendly voice of Steve Winwood, I was quite pleased. My favorite Hendrix tune, Voodoo Chile' was the close and it rocked. Thanks Derek and Annette for inviting us to share in such a great night!

Here is our friend Derek's review from his blog, "E.C. reunited with his Blind Faith band mate, Stevie Winwood, and the duo reached back 40 years to play several songs from their only album together, including "Presence of the Lord" and an acoustic "Can't Find My Way Home". The set list dutifully included the heavyweights ("Cocaine", "After Midnight", "Forever Man"), but I most enjoyed the sprinkling of Hendrix ("Voodoo Chile" was one of the most electric live performances I've witnessed), Traffic ("Dear Mr. Fantasy"), and even Ray Charles ("Georgia on My Mind"). Clapton's finger work on the acoustic versions of "Layla" & "How Long" were jaw-dropping."