Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Missing D.C.

There are some days, more than others, that I miss D.C. Today is one of them. I had to decide if Mary, Mac and I were going to go to Mom's Group at church, or stay home for the Inauguration. We opted for a Target run (very MN'tan) and back home to go to Holly & Sierra's to share the moment.

I wish I was there.

I was there as a child, a pre-teen, a teen, a young adult, an adult, a wife. I've never been there as a mom. Today would have a been a great day to be there as a mom.

Instead, I was with Mary and Mac and will tell them about it someday. Perhaps from the steps of a big white building on the Mall, maybe from the shore of Lake Harriet- I don't know. But I will tell them that we were together for a great day in our history.

They don't understand the importance of this day or what Hope means for our country today- Addie thinks is cool because he gets to live in the White House ("It has 6 floors and over a hundred rooms!!") and fly in a plane that has an office, an exercise room and a bed. I do understand, and I felt Hope today. I was inspired. I hope you were too.