Thursday, December 11, 2008

I would drive 100,000 miles just to be with you

With apologies to the Proclaimers.

This morning at 7:59 am CST, at the corner of 76th Street and Penn Avenue South, in Richfield, MN, on my way to work, our blue 1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4-door sedan hit 100,000 miles. It is a milestone that has been a long time coming. When we moved to Minneapolis in 2002, the car had 81,000 miles on it. It took six more years to get it to 100,000, mainly because it is now a commuter car, but partly because we do much less driving now than we did in our younger days. This car has been a huge part of our lives together. It was the first thing Polly and I bought together, even before we were married. I remember the buying experience (and we still got married). Here are some memorable trips that we took in the Jetta.
  • Many trips from DC to Buffalo, up I-70 to the 219
  • The countless trips to New Jersey, up I-95 and along the Turnpike
  • The occasional trip into New York City
  • The 10 hour drive from DC to Hilton Head, South Carolina with Lindsay Monsees
  • The drive from DC to Ann Arbor, MI for b-school
  • The drives from Ann Arbor to Buffalo, New Jersey and/or DC for Thanksgiving or Christmas
  • The drive from Ann Arbor to Higgins Lake, MI for weekends away with the Morley's
  • The short trip to the dry cleaner in Ann Arbor when I got rear-ended by a 16-year old in an Expedition and the car was almost totaled
  • The drive from Buffalo to Minneapolis
  • The car ride home from work when Polly told me that she knew our first child was a girl

Here's to many more memorable years.